Boating and other watercraft activities are common pastimes for citizens and visitors in the sunny Virgin Islands. Unfortunately, these water activities are not always as safe as participants believe them to be. Serious boating accidents can occur. If you or a loved one has been injured in a boating accident, a lawyer can help you fight for fair compensation.
ChancoSchiffer Law, LLC can help you build a personal injury case and make a strong legal claim for your damages. Call (340) 201-4667 for your free consultation.
Why Choose Us?
- We have extremely professional and experienced attorneys.
- We operate on a contingency fee basis.
- We have a long history of success, including many boating accident claims.
- We keep our case number to a minimum to provide undivided attention to each client.
- We maintain direct contact with you during every aspect of your claim.
Why You Need a Boating Accident Attorney
Suffering a boating accident injury can be overwhelming as a victim. You may not know who is to blame or how to protect your legal rights, on top of dealing with expensive bills. Sadly, insurance companies often take advantage of victims in their vulnerable states. Legal help, however, can allow victims to navigate their way through negotiations properly, without falling for the tricks of the insurance companies who are trying to escape liability. Your lawyer can walk you through every step of the claims process while protecting your best interests.
What Causes Most Boating Accidents?
Boats do not come with the same safety equipment as automobiles, such as seat belts or airbags. A collision, therefore, can be extremely dangerous. Victims can suffer serious or even fatal injuries. Broken bones, head and brain injuries, and accidental drowning are all common outcomes. As is the case with automobile accidents, a number of factors can cause boating accidents in the Virgin Islands.
- Negligent boat operation. Recklessness, inattention, and inexperience can cause boating accidents. A common example is boater intoxication.
- Lack of emergency preparation. Local boating laws require all boaters to equip their vessels with lifejackets, whistles, and other supplies in case of emergency. Failure to do so could contribute to serious injuries.
- Part malfunctions. A manufacturing error, poor maintenance, or boat engine malfunction can also cause boating or watercraft accidents.
- Severe weather conditions. The unpredictable weather changes in the Virgin Islands can contribute to boating accidents.
Identifying the cause of your watercraft accident is one of the first steps toward filing an injury claim. The person who is boating negligently or in charge of boat maintenance could be liable for your damages. If you get into a collision with another boater who was negligent, you have the right to file a civil claim demanding reimbursement from that boater’s insurance company. Other potential defendants include product manufacturers or the owner of the boat.
What to Do After a Boating Accident
If you get into a harmful boating accident, remain calm and call the authorities. Call 911 to request a police boat dispatch to your location. Report any noticeable injuries or fatalities. Do not admit fault once police arrive. Gather information such as the names and contact information of everyone involved. Write down a description of what you believe happened while it is still fresh in your mind. Once you receive medical care for any physical injuries, focus your attention on recovering financially. Contact an attorney with experience in boating and watercraft accident law near you.
Contact a Lawyer in the Virgin Islands Today
If you or someone you love has recently suffered injuries or expensive property damage in a boating accident in the Virgin Islands, contact our firm, ChancoSchiffer Law, LLC Our attorneys can listen to your experience, help you identify the defendant(s), and file your claim within the legal statute of limitations.
Initial consultations with our lawyers are always free. Contact us today at (340) 201-4667 .
Trial Lawyers College
All three attorneys are graduates from the Trial Lawyers College.
We will never stop working until we get the best possible outcome for our clients.
Our firm takes on a small caseload to ensure that your case receives the attention that it deserves.
Over $10 Million recovered for our personal injury clients. Our Attorneys are known for setting records in hard cases.
Our firm offers free consultations. It is important to us that we have the opportunity to get to know our clients in order to obtain the best result.
At ChancoSchiffer Law, LLC, our attorneys have over four decades of combined legal experience.