Fair Debt Collection Attorneys in Atlanta
Protecting Your Rights & Interests
Are you being harassed by debt collectors? Whether you owe money or do not owe anything, our Atlanta fair debt collection lawyers can help. ChancoSchiffer Law, LLC provides aggressive representation to uphold our clients’ rights, put an end to creditor harassment, and pursue damages for victims of unfair debt collection practices.
Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA)
Many Americans find themselves in a situation where they are struggling to pay back their debts. This could be debt in the form of medical bills, credit card debt, or even car loans. If you have fallen behind on your payments, you are likely being contacted by your lender or a debt collection agency.
It’s important to understand that you have consumer rights under the FDCPA. This Act prohibits creditors and debt collectors from using unfair, deceptive, and abusive methods to collect payment from debtors.
Some of the rules that debt collectors must follow include:
- They cannot call you excessively or repeatedly
- They may only call you between the hours of 8 a.m. and 9 p.m.
- They may not inquire about your debt with family members, friends, or your employer
- They cannot contact you at work if you have notified them of this
- They must not use obscene or profane language
- They cannot make threats of violence or physical harm
- They must not threaten to take away your property if it is not within their power to do so
- They are prohibited from making false threats of taking legal action against you
- They cannot lie to you or make false statements
- They must not misrepresent the amount you owe
- They cannot contact you if you have an attorney
Do I Need a Legal Representative?
Attempting to halt creditor harassment on your own can be extremely challenging. There are several steps that must be followed when seeking to stop a creditor or debt collector’s illegal behavior. When you hire our firm, we can help you take the necessary actions against your creditor.
Initial actions against creditor harassment include:
- Sending a letter to the debt collector demanding they cease communication
- Requesting validation of the debt
- Sending a letter that contests the debt
If after any of the above actions the harassment does not end, we can help you file a lawsuit against the debt collector. Whether or not you have evidence to support any losses you have incurred, you could be entitled to receive up to $1,000, as well as reimbursement for court costs and attorneys’ fees.
Get Help Today
Our Atlanta fair debt collection attorneys at ChancoSchiffer Law, LLC are here to help you understand your rights and legal options during this time. If you think you are being unfairly harassed by your creditors or a debt collection agency, consult with our firm as soon as possible. When you join us for your free consultation, we can help you determine the right course of action to stop creditor harassment and collect any compensation you may be entitled to.
Trial Lawyers College
All three attorneys are graduates from the Trial Lawyers College.
We will never stop working until we get the best possible outcome for our clients.
Our firm takes on a small caseload to ensure that your case receives the attention that it deserves.
Over $10 Million recovered for our personal injury clients. Our Attorneys are known for setting records in hard cases.
Our firm offers free consultations. It is important to us that we have the opportunity to get to know our clients in order to obtain the best result.
At ChancoSchiffer Law, LLC, our attorneys have over four decades of combined legal experience.