Atlanta Juvenile Criminal Defense Lawyer
Criminal charges as a juvenile can change your child’s entire future. Depending on the crime, the charges could negatively affect opportunities and job prospects. The attorneys at ChancoSchiffer Law, LLC understand how serious juvenile charges are and will do everything possible to fight them. A poor decision made during childhood shouldn’t determine the course of a life. If your child is facing juvenile charges in Atlanta, contact ChancoSchiffer Law, LLC for help.
Common Juvenile Charges
Though most juvenile charges are not as severe as some adult charges, there are still a large number of potential juvenile crimes. Larceny is one of the most common juvenile charges and is one of the less intense crimes. It occurs when someone steals something from another person. Because juvenile larceny often involves smaller, less significant items, many people do not report it. Larceny accusations, however, can still yield serious consequences.
Assault is another common juvenile charge. It often begins with aggression at school and can develop into more serious offenses.
Another common juvenile charge is illegal purchases. It is common for minors to want to party, often with drugs and alcohol. The desire to use drugs and alcohol can lead young people to go to great lengths to obtain the substances, even though it is illegal for them to buy them.
Georgia Juvenile Crime Penalties
Georgia law outlines a series of possible punishments for minors that depends on the crime’s severity. One category is for children in need of services, which covers children who:
- Are often truant
- Are often disobedient of parents of guardians and put themselves in dangerous situations
- Run away from home
- Commit offenses that only apply to children
- Loiter between midnight and five in the morning
- Go to bars without a guardian present
The court considers more serious charges designated felony acts. Designated felonies include:
- Aggravated assault with serious physical harm
- Aggravated battery
- Armed robbery without a gun
- First-degree arson
- Attempted murder
- Hijacking a motor vehicle
- First-degree home invasion
- Criminal gang activity
- Drug trafficking
- Any other actions that would be felonies if the child was an adult
- Aggravated assault with no serious physical harm
- Second-degree arson
- Smash and grab burglary
- Second-degree home invasion
- Attempted kidnapping
- Gang activity
- Activity with destructive devices
Under Georgia law, some juvenile actions are severe enough to warrant imprisonment. Some of the circumstances that could lead to imprisonment include:
- A child who did something that Georgia law considers a felony for adults and who also faces a felony charge in superior court.
- A child who faces charges for something punishable by death will go to the Department of Corrections.
- The court reviews a case for a minor turning 17 to see if he or she should receive a reduced sentence, enter into a probationary phase, or go to the Department of Corrections for the rest of his or her sentence.
Juvenile Criminal Defense Attorney
If your child is facing juvenile charges for any crime, your family needs our help. Whether the penalty includes fines, imprisonment, or another punishment, it could change your child’s life forever. Juvenile law is different from other sectors of Georgia law and can be complicated to navigate without training. The attorneys at ChancoSchiffer Law, LLC have experience with Georgia’s juvenile crime laws. We offer each of our clients the personal attention many other law firms cannot provide.
Contact ChancoSchiffer Law, LLC for strong representation in your child’s juvenile crime case.
Trial Lawyers College
All three attorneys are graduates from the Trial Lawyers College.
We will never stop working until we get the best possible outcome for our clients.
Our firm takes on a small caseload to ensure that your case receives the attention that it deserves.
Over $10 Million recovered for our personal injury clients. Our Attorneys are known for setting records in hard cases.
Our firm offers free consultations. It is important to us that we have the opportunity to get to know our clients in order to obtain the best result.
At ChancoSchiffer Law, LLC, our attorneys have over four decades of combined legal experience.